Monday, September 23
7:00 pm - 10:00 pmWelcome Event Sponsored by Cofides
(El Pelicano - Hotel Meliá Castilla)
Tuesday, September 24
Day 1 Theme:
Milestone Achievements Since GDMC Inauguration, Current Challenges and Emerging Opportunities
Master of Ceremony: Ms. Sabrina Borlini, Director, Syndications Department, IFC
8:00 am - 8:50 amNetworking Coffee
8:50 am - 9:00 amConference Opening
- John Gandolfo, Vice President & Treasurer, IFC
9:00 am - 9:45 amWelcoming Remarks
9:45 am - 10:30 amGlobal Outlook: Where Will Macroeconomic Trends Lead Us in 2020?
Presentation by Jean-Pierre Lacombe, Director, Global Macro & Market Research, IFC
- How are growing populism in the West, slowing growth in Asia, and rising social instability affecting global capital flows and trends toward integration?
- What’s likely to happen with U.S. monetary policy as the Federal Reserve achieves target levels?
- What will be the lingering effects of Brexit on the European Union?
- How will the growing debt burden affect African economies/industries across the continent as Africa continues its recovery from the 2014 commodity price slump?
10:30 am - 11:00 amNetworking Coffee
11:00 am - 12:00 pmChanging Landscape: Emerging Threats and Opportunities
Panel discussion moderated by David Marsh, OMFIF
- Landscape changes since GDMC 2017
- Emerging risks and opportunities for EM investing and MDB efforts to develop local capital markets
- Consideration of global political and economic issues of the moment; segue from Lacombe’s outlook to answering question of “What can we do about it?”
- Pascal Blanqué, Group CIO, Amundi Asset Management
- Martin Scheck, CEO, ICMA
12:00 pm - 1:00 pmCreating Sustainable Investment Opportunities: The Power of Partnerships to Spur Lasting Change
Panel discussion moderated by Reshma Kapadia, Senior Writer, Barron’s Magazine
- How are responsible practices and sustainability factors being embedded into global finance? [Relevant regimes include: Principles for Responsible Investment (investors); Principles for Responsible Banking (banks); and Network for Greening the Financial System (central banks & regulators)]
- How are central banks and regulators raising their expectations on how banks, pension funds, insurers and capital markets more generally manage sustainability risks, most notably climate change?
- How can the private sector support the MDBs in financing the SDGs?
- Regulatory changes and sustainable finance in the EU/UK: what will be the effect on non-EU markets? Should others follow suit?
- How can companies develop sustainability strategies? How should companies report the resilience of their strategy under different climate scenarios?
- Moderator: Reshma Kapadia, Senior Writer, Barron’s Magazine
- Carsten Quitter, Chief Investment Officer, Allianz Global Investors
1:00 pm - 2:30 pmNetworking Lunch
2:30 pm - 5:25 pmAFTERNOON BREAKOUT SESSIONS
Innovation and New Platforms for Emerging Market Mobilization
Impact, Sustainability and Emerging Market Mobilization
2:30-3:15pm: Breakout 2A. Upstream Project Development: How DFIs Are Mobilizing Investors into the Clean Energy Sector
3:25-4:10pm: Breakout 1B. Structured Finance and Capital Markets-Based Mobilization: New Solutions to Grow Financing Options for Emerging Market Corporates
3:25-4:10pm: Breakout 2B: Recent Innovations in Green Finance
4:10 am - 4:40 amNetworking Break
4:40-5:25pm: Technical Workshop 1C. Blended Finance
4:40-5:25pm: Technical Workshop 2C: Looking into the Crystal Ball – Green, SRI, Blue, ESG and Now SDG Bonds
5:25 pm - 7:00 pmNetworking/Free Time
7:00 pmBuses' departure from hotel
7:30 pmIFC Gala Awards Dinner
(Casino de Madrid)
7:30 pm - 8:15 pmCocktails
8:15 pmDinner & Awards Ceremony
10:45 pm - 11:15 pmShuttles return to hotel
Wednesday, September 25
Day 2 theme:
Scaling Up: Creating Sustainable Investment Opportunities in Emerging Markets
Master of Ceremony: Mr. Philippe Ahoua, Manager, Treasury Clients Solutions - Asia, IFC
8:30 am - 9:00 amNetworking Breakfast
9:00 am - 9:45 amThe Future of Investing: Technology’s Potential to Revolutionize Financial Markets
9:45 am - 10:35 amGame Changers - Technology: How Fintech Is Changing How and Who We Finance
Moderator: Martin Habel, Manager, CTCEM, & Acting Deputy Treasurer, IFC Treasury
- As new technologies battle for our attention, which should banks and investors be paying attention to?
- How are traditional players incentivizing fintech innovation? What are new players doing to stir the pot and change the status quo?
- What are some of the most successful applications of fintech for changing how financial firms operate?
- Can fintech really offer the “trifecta” of better services, lower costs, and deeper reach to unbanked firms and households globally?
- How can governments effectively balance their role of protecting consumer privacy and data and encouraging businesses to harness these technologies to expand access to financial services?
- Salvador Ruiz Bachs, Partner, Allen and Overy
10:35 am - 11:05 amNetworking Coffee Break
11:05 am - 11:45 amGame Changers - De-Risking with Insurance: Mobilizing Risk Appetite to Deepen Emerging Market Investing
Moderator: Euan Marshall, Head of Co-Investor Solutions, IFC Syndications
- How are DFIs using insurance to mobilize private partners into new EM assets and de-risk their existing exposures?
- What specific types of assets are a natural fit for insurance? For what types do insurers have greatest appetite?
- Do portfolio-based insurance solutions, like those piloted by IFC and OPIC, have the potential for scaleup and replication?
- What were the most significant challenges in developing portfolio insurance? Can other DFIs and insurers adopt this model?
- What is the potential for DFIs to standardize the documentation they use for insurance?
- How can DFIs and insurers work together to push the envelope on eligible assets?
- Dan Riordan, President of Political Risk, Credit and Bonds, AXA XL
- Peter Sprent, Head of Financial Risk Solutions, Liberty Specialty Markets
- Stephen Kay, Managing Director, Structured Credit and Political Risk, Marsh JLT Specialty
11:55 am - 12:45 pmGame Changers – Innovations in Infrastructure: How Banks and Asset Managers Are Going Outside Their Comfort Zones to Invest in Emerging Market Project Finance
Moderator: Silvia Pavoni, Economics Editor, The Banker
- How have global economic trends altered the landscape of project finance?
- What are the most successful examples of regional banks going across borders to invest in infrastructure projects in neighboring countries?
- When they move into other countries and regions, what are regional banks looking for?
- How can other regions learn from Asia’s lessons and deepen their own regional financial networks?
- Claus Fintzen, Chief Investment Officer – Infrastructure Debt, Allianz Global Investors
- Luca Tonnello, Joint General Manager, Head of Project Finance-Asia, Investment Bank Asia, SMBC
- Clive Kerner, CEO, Clifford Capital Pte
- Mike Cheng, Senior Vice President, Infrastructure Financing and Securitization, The Hong Kong Mortgage Corporation Limited
- Jean-Jacques Barberis, Head of Institutional and Corporate Clients Coverage, Amundi
12:45 pm - 1:00 pmConference Close
John Gandolfo, IFC VP & Treasurer, Thank-you Remarks
1:00 pm - 2:30 pmNetworking Lunch
2:30 pm - 3:30 pmC-Suite Executives’ Roundtable (6 participants plus IFC Senior Management Team)
Moderator: Reshma Kapadia, Senior Writer, Barrons
3:45 pm - 4:45 pmConference Sponsors’ Roundtable – Feedback and looking ahead
Chair: John F. Gandolfo, Treasurer and Vice-President, IFC
5:00 pmSantiago Bernabeu Stadium Tour and Farewell Cocktail