Monday, September 23
7:00 pm - 10:00 pmWelcome Event Sponsored by Cofides
(El Pelicano - Hotel Meliá Castilla)
Tuesday, September 24
Day 1 Theme:
Milestone Achievements Since GDMC Inauguration, Current Challenges and Emerging Opportunities
Master of Ceremony: Ms. Sabrina Borlini, Director, Syndications Department, IFC
7:30 am - 8:30 amNetworking Coffee
8:30 am - 9:15 amOpening Remarks [Melia Castilla Auditorium]
Scene-setting video – news clips and intro of conference theme
- John Gandolfo, Vice President & Treasurer, IFC
- Ana de la Cueva, Secretary of State, Spain
9:15 am - 10:00 amGlobal Outlook: Where Will Macroeconomic Trends Lead Us in 2020?
Presentation by Jean-Pierre Lacombe, Director, Global Macro & Market Research, IFC
- How are growing populism in the West, slowing growth in Asia, and rising social instability affecting global capital flows and trends toward integration?
- What’s likely to happen with U.S. monetary policy as the Federal Reserve achieves target levels?
- What will be the lingering effects of Brexit on the European Union?
- How will the growing debt burden affect African economies/industries across the continent as Africa continues its recovery from the 2014 commodity price slump?
10:00 am - 10:30 amNetworking Coffee
10:30 am - 11:30 amChanging Landscape: Emerging Threats and Opportunities [In the News]
Panel discussion moderated by David Marsh, OMFIF
- Landscape changes since GDMC 2017
- Emerging risks and opportunities for EM investing and MDB efforts to develop local capital markets
- Consideration of global political and economic issues of the moment; segue from Lacombe’s outlook to answering question of “What can we do about it?”
- Pascal Blanqué, Group CIO, Amundi Asset Management
- Martin Scheck, CEO, ICMA
- Mauricio Cardenas, Former Minister of Finance, Republic of Colombia
- Michal Ron, SACE, Head of International Business
11:30 am - 12:30 pmCreating Sustainable Investment Opportunities: Spurring Lasting Change
Panel discussion moderated by Burhan Khadbai, Supranational Editor, GlobalCapital at Euromoney Institutional Investor
- How are responsible practices and sustainability factors being embedded into global finance? [Relevant regimes include: Principles for Responsible Investment (investors); Principles for Responsible Banking (banks); and Network for Greening the Financial System (central banks & regulators)]
- How are central banks and regulators raising their expectations on how banks, pension funds, insurers and capital markets more generally manage sustainability risks, most notably climate change?
- How can the private sector support the MDBs in financing the SDGs?
- Regulatory changes and sustainable finance in the EU/UK: what will be the effect on non-EU markets? Should others follow suit?
- How can companies develop sustainability strategies? How should companies report the resilience of their strategy under different climate scenarios?
- Carsten Quitter, Chief Investment Officer, Allianz Global Investors
- Sara Lovisolo, Group Sustainability Manager, London Stock Exchange Group
- Leslie Maasdorp, Vice President and CFO, New Development Bank
- Sandra Carlisle, Head of Responsible Investment, HSBC Global Asset Management
- Marie-Aimee Boury, Managing Director, Head of Impact Based Finance, Société Générale Corporate & Investment Banking
12:30 pm - 2:00 pmNetworking Lunch
1:00 pm - 1:450 pmLunch & Learn Opportunity (in “Castilla”)
Libra: Realizing the Vision of a Stable Global Cryptocurrency (Discussion with Sunita Parasuraman, Head of Treasury, Libra Association)
2:00 pm - 4:45 pmAFTERNOON BREAKOUT SESSIONS
Innovation and New Platforms for Emerging Market Mobilization
Impact, Sustainability and Emerging Market Mobilization
2:00-2:45pm: Breakout 1A. Market Development: How Deeper Local Currency Debt Markets Can Close the Gap in FX Risk Mitigation
2:00-2:45pm: Breakout 2A. Generating new investment opportunities via upstream project development
IFC’s new “Upstream” strategy seeks to shift the business model towards the incubation of new private investment opportunities in emerging market infrastructure, through market creation/sector transformation, project development, and replicable and scalable procurement programs; and harnessing the full range of World Bank Group products and services.
2:45-3:30pm: Breakout 1B. Structured Finance and Capital Markets-Based Mobilization: New Solutions to Grow Financing Options for Emerging Market Corporates
2:45-3:30pm: Breakout 2B: Recent Innovations in Green Finance
3:30 am - 4:00 amNetworking Break
4:00-4:45pm: Technical Workshop 1C. Blended Finance
4:00-4:45pm: Technical Workshop 2C: Looking into the Crystal Ball – Green, SRI, Blue, ESG and Now SDG Bonds
4:45 pm - 7:00 pmNetworking/Free Time
7:00 pmBuses' departure from hotel
7:30 pmIFC Gala Dinner
(Casino de Madrid)
7:30 pm - 8:15 pmCocktails
10:45 pm - 11:15 pmShuttles return to hotel
Wednesday, September 25
Day 2 theme:
Scaling Up: Creating Sustainable Investment Opportunities in Emerging Markets
Master of Ceremony: Mr. Philippe Ahoua, Manager, Treasury Clients Solutions - Asia, IFC
7:30 am - 8:30 amNetworking Breakfast
8:30 am - 9:30 amGame Changers - Technology: How Fintech Is Changing How and Who We Finance
Moderator: Martin Habel, Manager, CTCEM, & Acting Deputy Treasurer, IFC Treasury
- As new technologies battle for our attention, which should banks and investors be paying attention to?
- How are traditional players incentivizing fintech innovation? What are new players doing to stir the pot and change the status quo?
- What are some of the most successful applications of fintech for changing how financial firms operate?
- Can fintech really offer the “trifecta” of better services, lower costs, and deeper reach to unbanked firms and households globally?
- How can governments effectively balance their role of protecting consumer privacy and data and encouraging businesses to harness these technologies to expand access to financial services?
- Salvador Ruiz Bachs, Partner, Allen and Overy
- Darko Hajdukovic, Head of Multi-Asset Primary Markets and Investment Funds, London Stock Exchange Group
- Samuel Eyob, Portfolio Manager – Africa, Lendable
- Emeka Njokanma, Director, TD Securities
- Sewar Nowwar, Business Development Manager, Jibrel Network
9:30 am - 10:30 amGame Changers - De-Risking with Insurance: Mobilizing Risk Appetite to Deepen Emerging Market Investing
Moderator: Euan Marshall, Head of Co-Investor Solutions, IFC Syndications
- How are DFIs using insurance to mobilize private partners into new EM assets and de-risk their existing exposures?
- What specific types of assets are a natural fit for insurance? For what types do insurers have greatest appetite?
- Do portfolio-based insurance solutions, like those piloted by IFC and OPIC, have the potential for scaleup and replication?
- What were the most significant challenges in developing portfolio insurance? Can other DFIs and insurers adopt this model?
- What is the potential for DFIs to standardize the documentation they use for insurance?
- How can DFIs and insurers work together to push the envelope on eligible assets?
- Richard Abizaid, Regional Product Leader and Head of the Americas, AXA XL
- Peter Sprent, Head of Financial Risk Solutions, Liberty Specialty Markets
- Stephen Kay, Managing Director, Structured Credit and Political Risk, Marsh
- Alberto Amo Mena, Managing Director, Global Head of Private Debt Mobilization, Santander
- Lise Kessler, Global Head of Credit Risk Insurance, Crédit Agricole CIB
10:30 am - 11:00 pmNetworking Coffee Break
11:00 am - 12:00 pmGame Changers – Innovations in Infrastructure: How Banks and Asset Managers Are Going Outside Their Comfort Zones to Invest in Emerging Market Project Finance
Moderator: Silvia Pavoni, Economics Editor, The Banker
- How have global economic trends altered the landscape of project finance?
- What are the most successful examples of regional banks going across borders to invest in infrastructure projects in neighboring countries?
- When they move into other countries and regions, what are regional banks looking for?
- How can other regions learn from Asia’s lessons and deepen their own regional financial networks?
- Claus Fintzen, Chief Investment Officer – Infrastructure Debt, Allianz Global Investors
- Luca Tonello, Joint General Manager, Head of Project Finance-Asia, Investment Bank Asia, SMBC
- Clive Kerner, CEO, Clifford Capital Pte
- Mike Cheng, Senior Vice President, Infrastructure Financing and Securitization, The Hong Kong Mortgage Corporation Limited
- Jean-Jacques Barberis, Head of Institutional and Corporate Clients Coverage, Amundi
12:00 pm - 12:15 pmConference Close
- John Gandolfo, IFC VP & Treasurer, Thank-you Remarks
- Xiana Mendez, State Secretary, Closing Remarks
12:15 pm - 2:00 pmNetworking Lunch
The following session is by Invitation Only:
2:15 pm - 3:15 pmConference Sponsors’ Roundtable – Feedback and looking ahead
Chair: John F. Gandolfo, Treasurer and Vice-President, IFC